Membership is at the heart of The Mustard Seed Cooperative Grocery Inc. A co-op is a business owned and governed by its members that operates for their benefit. Cooperation is a powerful tool to help communities meet local needs. As a co-owner of the Co-op you are entitled to an equitable vote in a democratically-run business.
You won’t have to be a member to shop at the Co-op but being a member does mean you enjoy a variety of benefits. Member-owners elect the Co-op’s Board of Directors to oversee the long-term development of the Co-op, the general management of store operations, and the financial management of the overall business. A $100 Membership share is your household’s fully-refundable, non-transferable investment in our cooperative enterprise.
- Voting rights, one vote per share, for Board of Director Elections
- Opportunity to be involved in the leadership and structure of your store
- Discounts on all items at time of purchase (likely a 2% discount)
- Additional regular sales items for members only
- Access to member-owner prices for specialty and bulk-ordering services
- Discounts at co-op workshops & events
- Stay informed about the business by reading regular Co-op emails
- Participate through voting, completing surveys, and providing informal feedback on Co-op issues
- Purchase a $100 membership share, providing capital for Co-op operations
- The liability of a member is limited in accordance with the Co-operative Corporations Act in Ontario.
- Membership is open to any person over 16 years of age, as well as incorporated entities.
- Two or more persons in a household may jointly hold a membership, but count as one person for voting purposes.